The new Export Market Development Grant for businesses residing in Australia closes 30 November 2021
The current EMDG Scheme changed from 1 July 2021.
What this means for you – you are now entitled to claim an EMDG for the following periods from 16 August 2021
- 2023-24 period
EMDG claims must be lodged by 30 November 2021. All information should be provided no later than 15 October 2021 to ensure lodgement of your EMDG claim meets all requirements.
1.1: Identify if you would like to apply for Tier 1 or Tier 2 or Tier 3 funding in your Plan to Market:
Plan to market – (please reach out on email for attached template to be completed) – this can be as detailed or strategic as you like
- Tier 1 – Years 21-22, 22-23 – new to export (max claim $40k per year-you marketing budget could be as high as $80k per year as EMDG may provide funding for up to 50% of eligible expenditure)
- Tier 2 – Years 21-22, 22-23, 23-24 – expanding your marketing activities-growth (max EMDG $80k per year-your marketing budget could be as high as $160K per year as EMDG may provide funding for up to 50% of eligible expenditure); or
- Tier 3 – Years 21-22, 22-23, 23-24 – expanding your marketing activities-growth and strategic shift (new market, different country, demographic, new product (good, service etc), a new way to target your marketing etc)- (max EMDG $150k per year-your marketing budget could be as high as $300K per year as EMDG may provide funding for up to 50% of eligible expenditure)
- Ensure that there is a designated connection between your marketing expenditure and the product you are promoting;
- show where you are now and where you want to be in 3 years (broken down by years); and
- Additionally, it is important that the above Plan to Market is in line with your future marketing intentions as this will be reviewed by Austrade when preparing a Grant Agreement. Subsequently, milestone payments will be made in line with the Plan to Market and the budgeted expenditure.
1.2: Please provide a budgeted spend per year in your plan to market (send an email to request the EMDG checklist for categories of eligible expenditure) – this may be a total amount you anticipate spending on marketing activities year or year (remember-expanding your marketing activities year on year)
2. In regard to your budgeted expenditure, please confirm via return e-mail, which of the following marketing categories you anticipate undertaking over the next 3 years (this is for the purpose of completing the EMDG Application Form):
- Overseas representatives (must be engaged for at 6 months of financial year) & marketing consultants
- Marketing visits (International or domestic marketing visits to meet overseas buyers 21 days per trip)
- Free samples
- Soliciting business in foreign countries-Trade fairs & similar promotional events
- Promotional literature and other advertising material
- Foreign buyer visits
- International Patents & trademark registrations
- Short trips in Australia (attend fashion events)
The New EMDG Process:
- Once you provide the information above, you are required to lodge the EMDG Application part of your EMDG (this will include the Plan to Market and other information referable to the EMDG Application Form).
- Austrade will then confirm the EMDG amount you will be awarded over the next 3 years (this will occur towards the end of January 2022);
- Austrade will then enter into a grant agreement with you;
- Once you have the grant agreement, you are required to complete the eligible expenditure (milestone payment and milestone reporting) part of the EMDG. This part is anticipated to begin in February 2022 and there will be additional information requested at this time. This part of EMDG will be onerous and complex. It is anticipated additional time will be needed to obtain the exact information to ensure the these reports are submitted based upon the eligibility of the EMDG Scheme. Austrade will audit to ensure that we have kept contemporaneous records and can verify the facts of the EMDG claim.
- Austrade will then make a milestone payment in regard to the eligible expenditure submitted in line with the milestone report for the period 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022 and so on.
- The export performance measure has been taken out of the new EMDG scheme.
- The capping limits for eligible expenditure have been removed from the EMDG scheme.
- Amendments to your Plan to Market and your budgeted expenditure each year are in a position to be modified when the grant period re-opens.
For Additional Information and Application:
Reach out to Jonathon Detata directly via email@example.com